Inserting carriage returns into Word with Scribe

This topic is 2592 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using Scribe (version 2.15) to create a directory of names, addresses and biographical information in Word 2010 (on Windows 10 running in Parallels Desktop 11) but don't know how to make the one final adjustment that I need.

The biographical information in my FMP 15A database is a text field with multi-paragraph data, and when that field is written into word with the following command, the paragraphs that appear in Word are separated by line breaks (created by Shift-Enter in Word) rather than by actual carriage returns (created by Enter). This means that a multi-paragraph entry is actually just a single large paragraph with sections separated by line breaks, so my custom Word styles do not work properly. So I need to get the line breaks replaced by real carriage returns.

(ScribeDocSubstitute( "[bio]";Directory::Bio)

I've tried to address this by adding placeholders ([..] where paragraphs should be broken) to the data that’s written into Word with hopes of then substituting carriage returns for the placeholders.

ScribeDocSubstitute( "[bio]";Substitute(Directory::Bio;Char(13);"[..]"))

This certainly puts the placeholders in the right places, and then I've tried to substitute the placeholders with carriage returns:

ScribeDocSubstitute( "[..]";Char(13))

This does replace the placeholders, but line breaks rather than the "pilcrow" carriage returns are inserted. I've also tried copying actual pilcrow carriage returns from both Word and FM and pasting them into the ScribeDocSubstitute function, but line breaks still appear. It's pretty easy to fix these in Word with a simple find/replace or with a short VBA macro, but I'd rather not have to do manual adjustments. I've even tried creating an auto open macro in Word to do the replacements, but that requires a document in DOCM format rather than DOCX, and Scribe doesn't appear to work with DOCM macro-enabled documents.

So how can I get true carriage returns into Word? I'm new to Scribe and am certainly missing something. 

Thanks for any help!

James

• 7 months later...
  • Newbies

As this question remains unanswered, I'll ask again. Is there a way to invoke a carriage return in a Word 2010 document using ScribeDocSubstitute ?

I have a many 3-line address calculation fields (Name on line 1. Street address on line 2 and City, State, Zip on line 3). The calculation, Name & Char(13) & Street & Char (13) & CSZ, works perfectly in Word for Mac. The carriage returns do not work in Word 2010 for Windows, thus the Name, Street and CSZ end up as a long string on the same line. I have also tried using Pilcrow and Char (10), neither works on Windows.

Edited by Fla6thCir

This topic is 2592 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.