IT_User

File Access Problems when syncing on iOs

I have already posted here:

https://community.filemaker.com/thread/170677

and have some thoughts in mind, but I will copy what I put in there, here.

Avoid FMGo Connection Interrupted

Server Timeout Disconnect

In the attached links, it goes back to questions that I had that dealt with a file on an iOs device, making sure it stays live and up to date.

So what I have done is worked on a local file that syncs to the one on the server.

That seemingly works, however there is a problem that just recently came up when I was testing. When the local file tries to reach the file on the server, it doesn't always connect.

In talking with others there is two consensus of what might be the cause:

• The Wireless access point is blocking access
  • File security permissions are not working (File Access tab in Security)
    • "Reset All" temporarily works (on the server file)
    • Deauthorizing and Authorizing sometimes works (on the server file)
    • Turning off the File Access requirement doesn't seem to help (on the server file)

I do have File Access on the local file, but I haven't tried turning that off.

Since I can't debug exactly what is going on, on the iPad this makes it harder. (I have put in some custom dialogs to see some things.)

The local file with the syncing to the server file works on my desktop, but that is a wired connection. (I could try the same wireless connection.)

It could be that I'm making a duplicate of the local file and putting that on the iPad, which makes the file not work.

(I put on the duplicate file on the iPad newly each time for testing, because I need a file without certain info on it, which will be filled later [dealing with Get(PersistentID)].)

Is there something I'm not thinking of?

To my knowledge, it had been working until recently.

I'll try a few more things, but hopefully get answers in the meantime.

Thank you

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 360Works
      MirrorSync 5 is now available and with it ships a better user experience for your clients! Today, we want to share 3 ways you can optimize your FileMaker sync experience for your users with the lastest version of MirrorSync.
      If you haven't heard...MirrorSync allows you to sync FileMaker Go, FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Servers, SQL databases, and virtually any datatbase you can think of!
      Here are 3 ways you can sync FileMaker and provide a better user experience using MirrorSync 5:
      1. Encrypted Password Storage
      No user wants to repetitively enter their password before a sync! As a convenience to your users, MirrorSync 5 will now store encrypted passwords for your users on the server. Essentially, it stores an encrypted version of the last used password to sync an offline file. In MirrorSync 5, instead of picking between a shared, auto-entered password (less secure) or individual passwords that need to be entered on each sync (less convenient), everyone can use their own password with ease and optimal security.
      2. Fast Initial Sync
      MirrorSync now runs a server-side initial sync! It will save an empty clone of the file, and temporarily host the empty file copy on FileMaker Server where it runs a fast server to server sync of only the selected records you want to sync. This is especially helpful if you have a massive database and only want to sync a subset of records without draining the memory on the local device, such as an iPad or iPhone. Once the sync is complete, MirrorSync closes the file on the server and sends the pre-populated file down to your users.
      3. Monitor Your Sync Statistics
      MirrorSync now reports sync stats to AWS CloudWatch. You can get real-time updates on important metrics such as sync times, warnings, and other notifications. Having this insight at your fingertips will make you instantly aware of issues or difficulties your users may be running into.
      Watch a Video on this Topic Now!
      We enjoy meeting up with our fellow FileMaker Developers at DevCon. Each year, we like to catch up with Richard Carlton Consulting who offers educational and entertaining FileMaker training that will keep you engaged and leave you with the knowledge and tools you need to be an excellent FileMaker Developer.

Check out Richard's video below to see an in-depth explanation and interview on MirrorSync 5 with 360Works President, Jesse Barnum.

Download a free version of MirrroSync 5, upgrade, or purchase here.

Stay updated with 360Works:

• By FM_Newbie
      Hi All,
      Just saw on the FM website for the FM17, it doesn't support client version 14.

If I want to setup a Server - Server Sync solution, Is it possible to do that between FM server 14 and FM server 17??
      thanks

• By adyf
      I've just upgraded to Filemaker Pro 17 and Filemaker Go 17. Unfortunately I now get 'The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded' error message (attached) when trying to open a file on my iPad that is hosted on my MacBook. I'm the only user of this file, so it seems strange and I've never had the error with previous Filemaker versions. Has anyone any ideas please?
      Edited to add that the file opens with Filemaker Go 17 when it is open on the MacBook with Filemaker Pro 16, therefore could this be a bug in Filemaker Pro 17?

• By 360Works
      360Works at DevCon 2018: Discount Extended!
      We had a great time at the 2018 FileMaker Developer Conference in Grapevine, Texas. Nothing gets the 360Works team more excited than demonstrating our products and meeting other FileMaker Developers! We are pleased to announce that we will be extending our DevCon discount until Friday, August 17, 2018. Enter code DEVCON18 at checkout and receive 15% off of your purchase!

Use the product table below to learn more about your favorite products and take advantage of the discount.
      At DevCon this year, Joe Martin demonstrated the brand new 360Deploy 2 for completely automating deployment of development changes to a production server and Jesse Barnum demonstrated a new version of MirrorSync, version 5, which has more convenience for end users and over 40 improvements to reliability, speed, and stability.

At our booth, the MirrorSync Setup Station allowed many DevCon attendees to return home with a fully functional sync setup and Richard Carlton Consulting gave out free FileMaker 17 training books at our booth this year!
      Click on any of our product links below to learn more or use the discount:
      Product Name Product Description 360Deploy Automated, simple deployment of new database versions Charts Easy-to-use charting for FileMaker CloudMail Send and track email marketing campaigns Email Send and receive text and HTML emails in FileMaker DocuBin Document and digital asset management FTPeek FTP upload and download from your FileMaker database JDBC SQL access with JDBC Compatibility MirrorSync Sync FileMaker Go and Pro on a device without network connection, sync FileMaker Servers, and sync FileMaker with SQL databases Plastic Payment processing plugin RemoteScripter Trigger scripts on FileMaker Pro from the web or IWP SafetyNet FileMaker Server offsite backup Scribe Read and write PDF, Word, and Excel files ScriptMaster Adds many new functions & create custom plug-ins SuperContainer A better container field Web Assistant Access internet resources, URLs, and fill out web forms Web Services Manager Publish FileMaker scripts as XML Web Services Zulu FileMaker calendar sync Stay updated with 360Works

• By Arnold Hooton
      I’m trying to retrieve a street address after I’ve used the ‘location’ function to access the gps coordinates. This may be simple but all I’m stumped. Maybe there’s a beginners tutorial on how to use url’s To get what I need. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.