Allow users to create records ONLY with a script

This topic is 8000 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I want to deny users the ability to create records directly through the menu command, BUT I want them to be able to create invoices with a script.

I've seen this done before, but I don't remember how it is accomplished.

Thanks!

Jason

Use the Access privileges to create a password that turns of menus (none). Now *all* navigation etc is under your control, ie, it needs to be scripted and buttons created for users to click on.

Not hard.

that's what I thought. I wanted to make sure since I wasn't sure how many menu options that would take away.

I did notice something else though as an alternative.

I could set it up so that the user can create or modify records only if "Status(CurrentScriptName)" = whatever the script is called.

Would that work?

Jason

Even if you select "editing only" for the menu options, it takes away almost everything. I don't very much want to script all of the standard functions like "show all records" and "enter find mode". I really want to keep those menu options.

In my company's previous FileMaker system, the only options that were disabled were New Record and Duplicate Record. In order to create an invoice, you had to go to the Clients database first and click new invoice. I cannot figure out how this was accomplished (I can not find an old copy of this database).

By the way, I tried my "alternative" above and it didn't seem to work. If you think it should work, let me know cause I may have done something wrong.

Thank you

This topic is 8000 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.