Error Capture when Creating Account within Script

This topic is 2522 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, 

I have a few fire departments that use my database, each department connects using filemaker Go.  In their database they have a button that runs a script that will collect some fields from an "Incident Report" and save them in a script parameter and then open a mutual aid database that is used by many towns.  It opens the mutual aid database using the open URL script step and the username and password are hard coded into the script.  The opening of that file triggers a script to run and create a new record in the mutual aid database and pulls in the field info it needs from the script parameter, then the script closes the mutual aid database.  

What I am looking to do is not change the way an incident is "created" with the scripts i mentioned but rather figure out how to give the Chief of a local fire station the ability to one click open and "monitor/edit" the mutual aid database where he can see the apparatus that are being assigned to his emergency.  Since he would have edit abilities I wanted there to be some security on that account.  Since each town manages their own user accounts within their databases, using a table, a layout and some scripts to create and delete their own user accounts in their database I don't think there is a good way to also create that user account in the mutual aid database at the same time.  

Here is what I was thinking. 

Run a script in the hosted FD database that captures the user account name as a variable and then opens the mutual aid database using OPEN URL.  Then creating a user account with the same user name as the hosted fire department chief that wants access to see the mutual aid database, I could use any random password i guess so they will not need to know it.  This would give me the ability to log any changes they make based on the account user name.   I think that's something I can do but my question is I want that person to have continued access to the database and if they click the button in their database to access the mutual aid database they would get an error saying that this user account already exists no?

What's the best way to deal with that?

Thanks for your time!

Chris Konash

Edited by CKonash

This topic is 2522 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.