Upgrade FMP 13 to FMP 15 on Mac Mini

This topic is 2466 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I got assigned the task of the upgrade from 13 to 15 on a client's Mac Mini.  We inherited this client and I have not done any of the administration of the server to this point.  I have 0 knowledge of either FMP or Macs so this will be quite the learning experience.  First task is to upgrade the OS from 10.8.5 to something more recent that meets FMP 15 requirements.  Any recommendations on what OS to upgrade to?  The Mac Mini is a late 2012 model, 16 GB RAM, 2.3 GHz i7, 250 GB HDD with 14 GB free.  FMP is backed up to an external 4 TB hard drive with 200 GB free.  Is the 14 GB free space enough or do I need to move some files to the external drive?  The 4 TB drive has 200 GB free – should I delete some old backups to free space?  Is there a special procedure for that?  Is there a good way to backup the entire server prior to the upgrade in case something goes funky?  Any other questions I should be asking?  Thank you so much in advance.

Do you mean FMP or FMS?  Big difference in how it is installed...

Since FMS15v3 supports 10.12 that is probably the OS that will give you the longest shelf life

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5677/~/filemaker-server-operating-system-requirements---all-versions

What is consuming that other 230GB on the server?  The server should be dedicated to the FMS task so it shouldn't have things that consume that much disk space.  Having other things there is a risk to the stability of the deployment.

• Newbies

The Mac Mini is running FileMaker Server 13 and needs to upgrade to 15.  I also need to upgrade the client PCs from FMPA 13 to FMPA 15 when that is complete.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I don't know what is consuming the space on the server.  I'm a Windows guy and this Finder thing isn't making much sense.  Attached is what I'm seeing.

mac.PNG

I would suggest getting a Mac guy to assist; that would be the most expedient way to go.  Especially once you get to installing FMS. There is no upgrade; you have to uninstall FMS13, remove any leftovers and reboot.  Then install FMS15.   Before you uninstall you need to document the current FMS settings and schedules so that you configure FMS15 exactly like 13 was.

It is imperative that you find what is consuming the disk space.  How big is the FM solution itself?  Including any Remote Container folders it may have...

This topic is 2466 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.