Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cannot open remote from PC, but can from MAC

This topic is 2490 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a FileMaker solution that I have opened in FMPro 12 on a host machine that has a public IP address and all port forwarding set.

I am able to connect to the files via OPEN REMOTE and the IP address of the machine from my Mac - and the files work perfectly, so the port forwarding appears to be correctly configured.

When I try the exact same thing from a PC, the files do not show up in the open remote dialog box.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bonnie

Same version of FM as on the Mac?  If not, check whether that version of FM can connect to your version of FMS.

If that is not the issue then it could be a firewall issue on the Windows machine blocking outgoing traffic.

• Newbies

It's the exact same version on the PCs and the MAC.  I have turned off the firewall  on the PC that is hosting and on the PCs that are attempting to connect .   Still no luck .   I have also made sure bonjour is installed on the PCs ... this is so frustrating!

Bonjour is only useful if the client and server are on the same network.  Are you getting any kind of message in the "open remote dialog"?

What if you use the direct network path to the file (little gear icon at the bottom towards the lower left of the launch center dialog).

• Newbies

Sorry, a little more information… The PCs are able to access the files as long as they are on the same network using the internal IP address of the machine .  When you take them outside of the network and attempt to use the external IP, it does not list the available files in the open remote dialog box . Initially I would have thought I had the router misconfigured but since it works perfectly on the Mac I believe the router configuration is correct. 

I will attempt to type the full address in instead of hoping the files are displayed in the list and let you know if it works .

This topic is 2490 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.