Learning Scripting?

This topic is 2485 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

In looking to make my database perfect, it has become obvious that I am going to learn Filemaker scripting. While I can Google and ask questions all day, I'd really like to learn how to do it myself (not so much the raw basic FM functions, but custom functions like 'case' etc.). As an example, with an old FM database, I had downloaded a script that would insert a decimal after I entered numbers in a field (for recording measurements). As an example, if the field entry was 'a' characters long, the decimal would be applied at position 'b'; if it were 'x' characters long, the decimal would be placed at position 'y'.

While I used this downloaded script (along with others), it occurred to me that it would be so much better if I actually understood the script so that I could tailor it to other use cases or built completely new variants on my own.

My stupid question for the week... where on earth would I even start with trying to learn this? I'm not even sure of the terminology that I should search for in an attempt to learn this. I'll admit that I also have to learn the logic behind these things (in addition to the actual functions and syntax). I just have, what I think, excellent ideas for my database (especially since I will not be the only one using it, so I'd like to make it easy and powerful for the other users), but am realizing quickly that I need more knowledge to do that.

Thanks in advance for any push in the right direction!

Start with the official FileMaker Training Series.  The Advanced part has a nice storyline to it that will take you through all the areas and will require you to complete exercises.

5 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

Start with the official FileMaker Training Series.  The Advanced part has a nice storyline to it that will take you through all the areas and will require you to complete exercises.

Excellent, thanks for the nudge! It's baffled me for months seeing some of the solutions that folks come up with, and having zero idea how they derived their method. It'll still be frustrating, taking me much longer (work and school), but at least I'll have something to work on in my sparse free time.

This topic is 2485 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.