Design Question Regarding Database or Scripting

This topic is 2409 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I wasn't sure where to post this so please move this topic if a better forum would be appropriate.

I have an application that I'm working on that will have multiple Event Weekends, for a type of sport.  I need to know what the Current Event Weekend is that the user will be working on.   The Current Weekend can be changed depending on which weekend the user needs to add entries to.   I'm not sure how to set this up...

Option One:   I thought maybe having a CurrentEvent table, where there is basically only one record that the whole application can access, that tells the application what the Current Weekend is. (it can just be a number field that is linked to the Event Table).    However, if I do this, the way my database is laid out, the table that is a bit of a distance from the CurrentEvent table is not reaching the table with that field. Perhaps I need to modify my layout. I'm not sure.

Option Two: I could have a CurrentEvent field in the 3 tables that need to know what the CurrentEvent is.  These include the Event Table, the Trial Table, and the Run Table. (Each Event Weekend can have multiple Trials. And each Trial can have multiple Runs.)

IF I did Option Two... each table has multiple records (IE there can be many Trials in the Trial Table), and so I would probably need to update every CurrentEvent record in that table.    I'm not sure how I would script it so that every CurrentEvent field in the Trial Table is updated to reflect, say, Event 2. (I've played around with pasting in the value, or using Replace Field Contents, but I couldn't get those to work correctly.)

Option Three: Have a Global Variable that carries the Event Weekend Number always throughout the application so that all the tables can access it. (Or maybe a Global Field? I have a read a bit about Global Fields but don't know if this would solve my issue or not.)

I'm a pretty major Newbie at Filemaker, this is my first application, and would appreciate any help. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Cynthia Heyman said:

I need to know what the Current Event Weekend is that the user will be working on. 

Difficult to answer without understanding what your solution tracks in real life. What determines if an event or a weekend (are these two the same thing?) are "current"? Are they current for all users alike? How long do they remain current? 

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is 2409 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.