Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Videx Barcode Readers and Software

This topic is 7947 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm new to this forum but I have an interest in using Filemaker Pro and collecting data with barcode readers. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but I currently use Videx barcode readers to collect data and import the data into Filemaker Pro databases. Their website is www.videx.com

I use Macintosh computers so the reason why I particularly like their products is that I can create custom application using their Macintosh software programs. So I can program the barcode reader to prompt the user, validate scans etc. all on my Mac. In addition the tech support (the few time I have called) is very Mac friendly. I just thought this would be useful for those who wish to use barcode readers with their Macs.

Thanks, Ewarrior. I didn't know Videx had Mac support, especially for development. Great tip, they have some very cute devices (if a little pricey).

I'd like to hear more. Either post some more details or give me a call. If you will be at FM DevCon, come by the FMforums booth.

-bd

(Brent Dussia, Live Oak Systems, 760-728-7046)

I've thought about going to the FM DevCon. Maybe when it comes back to the East Coast. Any way regarding the Videx products while they might seem expensive they really are a great value (Just like the Macintosh Computer). I use the Duratrax, Laserlite and Laserlite Pro readers with the Application Builder software. The readers are very high quality. When you hold one in your hand you feel the quality. They are also very durable. I've got some readers that have been in heavy daily use, in warehouse conditions, for over 6 years (They have been dropped, stepped on, rolled over etc.). If one does wear out after the one year warranty I send it back to Videx for repair (Usually its for a worn down scan tip on the Duratrax or worn keys on the Laserlite Pro). The repair fee is a flat fee no matter what's wrong with the reader.

I'm using the readers to track the location of cartons in multiple warehouses. I program the barcode readers with Videx's Application Builder software for the Mac. The data in the barcode readers is downloaded during the day to a text file on a Mac. Then my Filemaker Pro application, using some scripts, imports the text file and updates appropriately. Over the years I've gotten fancy and used some Wave in Motion and Troi plugins to manipulate the text file. I'm not a computer programmer by trade but I find the Videx software just as easy to use as Filemaker Pro so I've been able to build a complete inventory solution myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds good. It's too bad they make it so hard to find out that they have Mac support. On their web site I finally had to go to the price list and search for a Mac software product. Also, I've talked to them at MacWorld Expo and never learned of Mac support. You'd think they would highlight the Mac side development software at the Expo. Wonder why they want to keep it such a secret?

-bd

• 2 weeks later...

Just a warning, LaserLite Mx is only for windows. Here's a quote from their support:

"Just as a product note, LaserLite Mx is only Windows compatible.

LaserLite has 128K of memory. LaserLite Pro has 256K. Videx technical

support's rule of thumb is that if your program and the files you want to load into a Pro will be over 150K, then you'll need to consider moving to the Mx. LaserLite Mx require considerable computer programming skills."

So evidently only LaserLite Pro and LaserLite are MAC copatible.

BB

This topic is 7947 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.