Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Why to choose File Maker Pro

nipa

This topic is 2402 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi there,

I am a mobile/windows developer (hobby) and a full time doctor :)

Nevertheless, I love in the spare time to develop applications, systems to make my work easier and more automatized.

It happened that during my work in another hospital, in another country, I came across "File Maker Pro". At the first thought, I considered it as a "hospital built program to speed up report typing" but googling it I discovered a new world, so here it is.

I have a couple of doubts/questions, and I hope to find not-party answers :D

- If I buy a File Maker Pro license (very expensive though), I can build my own application and database to work in my laptop. What if I want to share my application with other laptops in my office so that also my colleagues will take profit of my creation?

- If I want to share and sell my application with other offices, how does it work the license point?

And now some more specific topics:

- Why should I choose File Maker Pro to realize a database interface when I can build (as I was used to do) my interface with Visual Studio, save the files in a common folder with a reference into the database? I read something, and FileMaker is a great choice for big projects, but what about small projects to distribute? The only reason I find is the unique database file containing inside the whole files so for backuping it comes very easy and logic...

I hope don't mind my question, but I would like to understand whether File Maker could be actually useful for my future medical application developing or just a wasting time.

Thank you!

- What if I want to share my application with other laptops in my office

FileMaker Server is ideal, but you can also share with up to 5 users using built in peer-to-peer sharing.

- If I want to share and sell my application with other offices, how does it work the license point?

You can price your solution however you like. But your customers will still need to buy FileMaker Pro and Server licenses. FileMaker does offer reseller discounts and volume licensing.

And now some more specific topics: - Why should I choose File Maker Pro ...

That's not what I call a specific question! I don't have Visual Studio experience, so:

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+FileMaker

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.