Server 16 a bust?

Cable

This topic is 2337 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is anybody else having major problems with FileMaker Server 16? I'm having certificate problems, connection issues, scripting errors and now major calculation errors.

It started out with repeated errors stating that my SSL certificate (which worked just fine in FMS 15) wasn't being recognized and I kept getting the "cannot verify server's identity) error.

I keep having problems with multiple stranded connections. For example, there have been times when I know not one single person is logged in (because we've been closed for hours and hours) and yet there will still be dozens of connections on the server. Then when I look at the detail some of them will be for the same user showing as being connected six or seven times. A reboot fixes.

Then starting yesterday I started having problems with calculations giving completely wrong answers. For example, I have a chart that bounces sales numbers against a sales goal. The report this morning showed one salesperson had a goal of $32,479 and actual sales of $32,770. The chart showed that she is at 3% of her sales goal. Not. Even. Close. If I run the report manually, it is just fine.

I also have a problem with some scripts. For example, I have one that checks a table for items that have been inactivated and deletes prices in a related table. Except instead of doing that it is just randomly deleting hundreds to thousands of prices. Again, if I run the script manually it works just fine. Only a problem when the server runs it.

Something seems to be majorly wrong with Server 16. I'm close to declaring it a bust and going back to FMS 15. I just really hate to lose the new PDF generator (from the server) which I have been needing for years.

Edited by Cable

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

My experience has been positive for the most part. 

SSL issue: I believe that FileMaker Server 16 incorporates stricter SSL requirements, mainly the necessity to include the Intermediate SSL as well as the Signed SSL. For example, I had FileMaker Server working fine without Intermediate SSLs from GoDaddy, but when FileMaker Server 16 launched, I experienced the same error unless I included the Intermediate SSL that came with the bundle. So I wouldn't chalk that up to being an issue, but rather FileMaker making sure the server is more secure.

Stranded Connections: I've been experiencing hanging connections since FileMaker Server 14. Not necessarily new, but would love to see it fully resolved. You can always try disconnecting the connections that are older than 24 hours through the Admin Console.

Scripting: That sounds like your scripting may not be ensuring that the correct context is in use when deleting records. I would add some validation to make sure you are working in the right layout and with the correct found set. If your script was ran locally from a button on a layout, FileMaker Pro will know what context you are running the script in, but if you introduce PSOS without telling the script to go to the correct layout, or re-obtain the found set, it's going to give you bad results. Also, note that any OnFirstWindowOpen script triggers will execute when running PSOS, so make sure those scripts have some sort of catch for If [ PatternCount ( Get ( SystemVersion ) ; "Server" ) ] to Exit Script. That way you aren't getting put in a different context by an opening script. Though I don't know your scripting, so maybe you already have this in place. I personally haven't had any issues with PSOS on FileMaker Server 16. I would recommend adding some logging to your PSOS scripts to find the true cause.

IMO, FMS 16 has some good security measures and the Save As PDF and new API are awesome. I would just suggest a little more troubleshooting before giving up on it :)

- Jeff

This topic is 2337 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.