Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Accessing a Copy of a Database

Wickerman

This topic is 2223 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi -- I'm beginning a project revamping a client's database.  My liaison doesn't have direct access to the database file, or a means of creating her own clone of the file, so she got her IT guy to get on the server and make me a copy, which he delivered to me via DropBox.  So far so good.  I opened up the file with the login/password they provided and found I was able to view the data, go into Layout mode, get into the field definitions and relationship graph, fine!

BUT . . . I am not able to access the "Manage > Security" panel -- and when I save a Clone or a Copy of the database, I get a file that does not allow me to open it with the login/password of the original file.

I've never happened upon a log-in that gave access to everything except security, but I guess that was what was put in place . . . and I'm figuring that IT guy *must* have a Full-Access password . . . otherwise how did he make a copy that I'm able to open with the "nearly everything" password?

I guess I can just start a new solution and copy over the tables and layouts and import the data . . . but it's a pain and there's always a chance you'll not copy over something that's important.

Am I missing something? Is there some reason why I might be unable to make accessible copies despite having the only "Full Access" log-in?

Edited by Wickerman

This topic is 2223 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.