SafetyNet S3 Question

This topic is 2053 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Context:

We're hosting our solution through several FileMaker Server 17/AWS EC2 instances (one for each client).

We have a S3 bucket "clients backup" with a folder for each client (clientA BU / clientB BU / ...)

Question:

Is it possible to direct SafetyNet to backup from one FileMaker Server to a specific folder (ClientB BU)?

TIA,

Luc Roels

Edited by lucroels

Hi Luc,

I realize the documentation is unclear in that you have to use an AWS account to link SafetyNet to Amazon to use Amazon Pay. It does not have to be an AWS account but can also be just an Amazon account. I have altered the documentation to be more concise. With that being said, SafetyNet does not backup to your account. It backs up to a 360Works account which has a bucket based on the account used to link SafetyNet to Amazon. Having the same Amazon account for multiple SafetyNet installations is not a supported configuration. Do you currently do this? If so, when you go to manage the files, are all of your clients backups shown ? If you have not set this up yet, I would recommend setting up an Amazon account for each of your clients and either using the same credit card for all accounts and then billing your customers or use one of the specific client's credit cards and they can be billed directly.  

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your reply AND advice.

We actually add an IAM user to our account for each client with just one single S3 policy that restricts their access to just get the content of their backup folder. They never login in AWS. We install and configure an app like Cloudberry Explorer, S3 Browser or Mountain Duck on one of their machines to access their backup files.

The one flaw in this system is indeed that they see all the other customer's backup folders. But they have no access to them. So  we might switch to one bucket for each customer.

We were looking into your solution as it is far more elegant. But I can see that business logic demands that we use your Amazon account. Which raises another problem. We and our customers are based in the EU, so under the GDPR we cannot export/store customer data outside of the EU. Which AWS region do your S3 buckets reside in?

Basically, what we are looking for is a system that gives our customers access to their backups, but at the same time allows us some sort of control for all of them, even if it was just to check if thing are running smoothly. 

Billing is contained in our subscription fee. We know the demands of our solution and the file size only varies with the number of user so we do account for that in the subscription.

Luc Roels

Hi Luc,

I spoke to the SafetyNet developer to get a little more information.  A correction to what I said earlier,  you cannot use an AWS account to link SafetyNet to Amazon. It needs to be a regular Amazon account. 

We and our customers are based in the EU, so under the GDPR we cannot export/store customer data outside of the EU. Which AWS region do your S3 buckets reside in?

SafetyNet will do a network check and choose the region with the fastest ping time. So while this effectively means the bucket chosen should be in the region the EC2 instance is running in, there is still a very unlikely chance that the region picked could be outside the EU. If this will keep you from using SafetyNet, please let me know and I can talk to the developer about making a change to where the region picked will be presented to the user. 

This topic is 2053 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.