Importing All Records

This topic is 1760 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Basic Question:

I am attempting to import 60 records from a CSV file. There are 4 fields per record: First Name, Last Name, Email and Source. 

When I choose Import Records... > File... from the File menu, everything looks good, 4 data points point to the correct field names: arrow icon "Import this field" but the rest are the double dots icon, "Don't import this field," and when I click on the Import button only the first record is imported.

I don't use Filemaker frequently enough to remember everything but when I need it, I really need it. I do not remember having to go thru and changing every icon in the Import dialog to import this field, I thought that was automatic.

I there something missing in the CSV file? I can reprocess that if required. Having to indicate to import for every record will be tedious.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 hours ago, FMRadio said:

4 data points point to the correct field names: arrow icon "Import this field" but the rest are the double dots icon,

If the source file has 4 columns, then this is as expected. 

2 hours ago, FMRadio said:

when I click on the Import button only the first record is imported.

Can you post an example of the source CSV file?

Edited by comment

Thanks for your reply. The data is private names and addresses so I made an exact facsimile...

Tom,Barker,[email protected],Out List,Craig,Hopso,[email protected],Out List,Judy,Flowerstalk,[email protected],Out List,Lara,Oblong,[email protected],Out List,Judi,Thomas,[email protected],Out List,Bruce,Fortrans,[email protected],Out List,Dennis,Willybobba,[email protected],Out List,Peter,Kates,[email protected],Out List,Edward,Davies,[email protected],Out List,Larry,Kahn,[email protected],Out List,Alice,Comfortis,[email protected],Out List,

The text block is 11 records, Each record: First Name, Last Name, Email, Source

It seems to me that there should be an indicator for each record? But what would that be?

Thanks

In a CSV file, records are supposed to be separated by a line-ending character (CR, LF or CRLF). What you posted here seems to be a single unbroken line - so if that's really what your data looks like , Filemaker will see it as a single record with 44 fields.

Edited by comment

Hey thanks!

I suspected this was the problem from the start but my original attempt to address it by doing a search and replace within Apple's textedit with their marriage return was not viewed by Filemaker as a kosher new record indicator but when you said, ..."line-ending character (CR, LF or CRLF )," I realized that should try another.

This time I inserted a Line Break and the CSV imported perfectly.

Much thanks.

This topic is 1760 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.