War file does not deploy

This topic is 1708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to install the mirror sync application on an ec2 linux instance and I am having trouble. I copy the war file into the /var/lib/tomcat8/webapps directory. Nothing happens after that except that I get a new folder in the /etc/tomcat8/Catalina/localhost directory called MirrorSync.xml, which I edited as I needed with username/password/hash. But, the MirrorSync folder that is supposed to populate in the webapps folder does not populate. So I basically end up with nothing and can't obviously run the set up. Any thoughts? 

Also, my linux is a little rusty (been a few years). But, I installed java, tomcat8, removed tomcat7 (which comes on an ec2 instance standard), set up tomcat without an issue. I configured the tomcat installation and can access it with my w3m editor at http://localhost:8080. Can't access the .../mirrorsync address though obviously as the war file doesn't seem to explode or create the mirrorsync directory with all of the classes. 

Screen-Shot-2019-07-21-at-12-32-45-PM.pn

What happens if you try the URL http://localhost:8080/MirrorSync (Capital M and S are important)?

Also, make sure that Tomcat has write permissions to that webapps directory. Do some google for 'unpackWAR', that's the setting that controls whether or not to expand the .war file into a directory. We have that set to true in the MirrorSync.war file, but it's possible that some setting in Tomcat is overriding it.

Hi Jesse—

Thank you for the reply. Crazy but when I go to that web address today, it works. Didn't yesterday. Still, I don't see the WAR unpacked anywhere in the /var/lib/tomcat8/webapps folder. Did it possibly unpack in another location? 

Not sure if it might have unpacked to another location - it's also possible for Tomcat to run the webapp directly from the compressed .war file without unpacking it at all (that's what the unpackWAR setting is for).

So I ran the command unzip -qq /var/lib/tomcat8/webapps/MirrorSync.war -d /var/lib/tomcat8/webapps and as you can see it created those new files in that webapps directory. Still don't see the MirrorSync directory. I assumed it would be created automatically by the war file. Do I need to run one of these files? 

Thank you for the help!

So if I can access the http://localhost:8080/MirrorSync then I'm good?

Hey Jesse! That worked out for me but when I try to connect, I have an issue. I will post the screenshot with the error message I get. Mirror sync is set up to log in with an account I created for mirror sync. I wonder if there is anything I need to do for this account to make it work. Screen-Shot-2019-07-22-at-3-22-56-PM.png

This topic is 1708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.