MirrorSync Version 4+ - Deploying new offline file versions

This topic is 1716 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I am attempting to use this new feature in version 4 for deploying new versions of offline files. I want to make sure my hosted file that is being downloaded has the correct info in the mirror sync table. 

I have a seperate mobile file used by the iPads, seperate from the server file used for the desktop users. I am making my updates to the hosted mobile file. 

Questions:

• Since a single record is required in the mirrorsync table so as to put the new version number in field: "DatabaseVersion", should I have all other fields be blank in the mirror sync table?
  • I assume all other records should be deleted from all tables, or is it ok to pre-populate some data in the tables to reduce the initial sync?

Thank you.

Hello,

For file downloads, the MirrorSync table should have at least a server record(field type has value 'server'), and usually has a hub record in it as well. You don't need to mess with any of the fields on this table except for the sync4 field, which you would update if you are pre-populating your separate mobile file.(http://docs.360works.com/index.php/MirrorSync_5_advanced_topics#Can_I_pre-populate_my_offline_database_to_speed_up_initial_sync.3F) There should not be client record in this table. Other than that, you should not need to do anything more with the MirrorSync table beyond updating the DatabaseVersion field value, which you can do from the Manage Database dialog.

You can absolutely pre-populate your separate offline file to reduce the initial sync time. However, you'll need to make sure the records you have in the offline file match the customization you set up to filter the records. Please reference the link I provided above to guide you on pre-populating your offline file

Thanks Sean. So if I don't have the server and hub records right now in the hosted mobile file, you would recommend creating them and just leaving all the fields blank except database version? And do I need to change the data base version in both the server and hub records? 

Hello,

I recommend building your separate mobile by just making a copy of your hub file, and then removing records/layouts/tables from that file as you see fit. MirrorSync updates a timestamp in the MirrorSync table on the hub regularly so that MirrorSync can better evaluate the state of the records in new copies. You'll want this timestamp to be properly captured in your separate mobile file to avoid record conflicts. Any time you import records to the offline copy from the hub, you'll want to update this timestamp. Copying the hub as a base to generate your separate mobile file will take care of this.

You probably won't need to both changing the DatabaseVersion value in the separate mobile file as the database updater feature is not available for separate mobile files. You'll need to make any db changes to the hosted mobile file, have users that use a separate mobile file for syncing run a final sync of their copy, and then download a copy of the updated mobile file.

This topic is 1716 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.