Server Maintenance This Week. ×

DeltaOne ScanPlus 1800

This topic is 7954 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I am about to purchase a scanner system for our FileMaker 5.0 servered solution, and, frankly, I am at a loss. Never used one, and know nothing about it...

The scanner proposed is called Intermec ScanPlus 1800 from DeltaOne. There're also offering a LP/TLP 2722/2742 label printer, and a label design software.

1. Does anyone have experience with the scanner/printer/company?

2. Do I really need a special printer for labels, or can I use our existing laser/color printers?

Thanks for any useful info!

BB

I'm not familiar with that scanner, but Intermec is one of the majors in the barcode business. I see that it has both CCD and laser versions. I generall prefer laser scanners to CCD's. The dataasheet also only mentions Windows setup. If you are on Macs, I might avoid this one. The other majors in the scanner business are Symbol, PSC, Metrologic, WelchAllyn and Unitech. DeltaOne is probably just a reseller. I have one scanner as sold by one vendor that I really prefer. It handles PC's either keyboard interface, ADB Macs, and USB if you use the iMate adapter (DON'T USE ANY OTHER USB ADAPTER!). Here is a repeat of one of my earlier posts with details:

"The key is picking a scanner which allows the insertion of a preable and postscript which preceed and follow the actual information scanned. The concept is to program a Command-1 (Control-1 on the PC) as a preable and a Command-2

(Control-2 on the PC) as a postscript. This triggers one script, enters the scanned information, and then triggers the second script. The two required scripts as are select to appear as first two displayed scripts in the Scriptmaker menu. Additionally, since scripts in FM are re-entrant, you must use flags to prevent a second execution before the first is complete.

These scripts can be as simple as a "Go to Field" or trigger very complex processes to enter data in multiple files. They can automatically navigate to a layout or be context sensitive to the layout you are on.

Not all scanners allow preambles and postscripts, some are VERY difficult to program, some don't allow the Command or Control alterations to be programmed. The scanner I like the best is the Unitech MS690WA-1. It works with Macs, PCs (both std and PS2 keyboards), and with USB using an iMate adapter. Maker sure you buy it from snx (www.snx.com) as the standard Taiwan manual is unreadable, the snx provided one is VERY good."

Since writing the above we have also found out that the snx has a newer version of firmware which is much better.

You most likely don't need label design software or a special label printer. Thermal transfer barcode printers are mostly used when you need to print on a custom size label or a specific material (e.g. cryogenic rated) with a special adhesive (cryogenic or peelable/restickable). Label printers are nice if you wish to print labels one at a time. Before buying anything too special I'd try:

1) laser printer and barcode fonts (try www.azelia.com)

2) Dymo label printer (don't use new Seikos, they now only print with their own appication, not from FM)

3) Brother P-touch PT-9200DX (this is a thermal transfer printer that prints on a continuous strip of vinyl with a cutter and available tape widths of 1/4" to 1.5")

Also take a look at posts in the Barcode forum. Try searching on "Unitech" or "snx".

-bd

Thanks for the quick responce, bd

I actually realized right after posting, that I misposted this question in the wrong forum (clicked on the ajacent link). Sorry.

Several questions:

I generall prefer laser scanners to CCD's What does CCD mean?

scripts in FM are re-entrant What do you mean by that?

Yeah, that would be very cool to program the scanner to work with FileMaker Scripts, I didn't know it was possible.

I'll take a look at Unitech MS690WA-1. Thanks a lot, your info is very useful!

CCD stands for "Charge Coupled Device". Without getting into the gory details, a laser scanner emits a red laser beam which is scanned across the target by either a rotating mirror or a galvanometer (like a meter movement). The advantage of this is that you can see where you are scanning to pick a barcode out of clutter on a label. Also, laser scanners have a range of up to 6' or so (depending upon the model and size of the barcode). CCD scanners use a line of detectors. The barcode is illuminated by a row of LEDs. The "scanning" is electronic, down the row of CCD in the scanner's detector array. You see these in department stores a lot, because they are cheap. The disadvantage is that you hold the scanner against the barcode and have little control of exactly what area is scanned. These are mostly contact devices, working only up to a couple of inches away.

Re-entrant means that you can run a script a second time while the first "copy" is still running. In rapidly scanning multiple barcodes you must prevent this from happening or everything gets pretty confused.

-bd

This topic is 7954 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.