Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Container fields and PDF can I use Preview and not Adobe?

This topic is 1714 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FileMaker Pro 16.0.6.600

On a Mac 

I am having a container field where I store PDF files. 

Every time I start the DB and I get to a file in the DB with a PDF in it, I get a box asking me: adobe pdf viewer can not find a compatible… etc.

Now if I select Adobe Acrobat Reader DC it now runs fine, however it will ask me again the next time I open the DB.  Boring indeed.  Any solution to that?

My first choice would be to use Preview, I did select it when the box appeared but this does not work.  Any solutions to that?

If it needs to be Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, where can I set the preferences so it does not ask me all the time?  

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC seems also pretty buggy, crashing at time and not allowing to scroll the PDF and a few more bugs.

Any solutions anybody knows of?

What might help is (1) a screenshot of the message and (2) a detailed explanation of what you were doing immediately before it appeared. "I get to a file in the DB with a PDF in it" is too vague.

You can choose Preview to be the default application to open PDF files on your system, as explained here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7883441

However, your solution may be overriding this choice, for example by using AppleScript. 

Edited by comment

This topic is 1714 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.