I'm Not Sure about this one

This topic is 7919 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am not sure how to do this, every way that I have came up with is very very long winded but heres the problem.

I work in a college that has started to electronically collect attendance data for the students. This is then imported into the attendance file, this file contains three main things, the first is the student id, the second is the lesson/subject id and the final is the date and time. I need to present this data in a register format, so I wanted within the lesson/subject file have a portal showing whether the student attended on a specific date for that specific lesson.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can present this data in a register type format. All ideas welcome as the idea I have come up with is quite long winded and I don't think it is the most efficient way to set this up.

I'm not sure what a "register format" is, but here's a basic way of doing it:

You need 4 files: 1) a class list with classes and classIDs; 2) a student list with student names and studentIDs (so far, pretty easy); 3) a file listing which students took which classes, that can be viewed in a portal in either of the other two files (in the Class file, the portal shows students in that class, in the Students file, the portal shows which classes the student is in).

Now it gets tricky.

The fourth file contains the actual line items of absent students. You'll need a classID, studentID, and Date field. This data can be viewed in a portal from the Class file -- in fact, data can be entered from there as well; just make sure the studentID field in the portal is a popup list containing only related values (using the relationship to the Students file).

This is skipping some details which can be pesky, but it's a start.

Sorry I should have been more specific a register format is where the students names are listed on one side, dates of lessons is along the top and the students attendance is entered in a cross reference format joe bloggs attended on 5/8/02 then an attendance would be entered on the row next to his name and underneath the relevant date.

I understand the first three files that you have listed but I am not 100% sure about the fourth file. Would the fourth file be related to the attendance file by a combination of Class ID and Date. You would then be able to have a portal for each date but then I don't think that would work. Sorry if I am sounding thick but I just can't get my head around this, could you please provide a little bit more clarification, It is greatly appreciated.

This topic is 7919 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.