Key relationship through dropdown best practice?

bac mac

This topic is 1608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It seems that WebDirect can't access a field under another field.  This will be a problem for several solutions that I've set up over the years and I wonder if there is a better method for the following:

For example, in an Orders table and layout, there is a field Requestor ID that contains a foreign key that would match the Primary key in the Personnel Table.  For each Order record, there is only one Requestor.  The Personnel table of course contains name, contact info, etc. for potential requestors.

In the orders layout, I have an underlying field (Orders::Requestor ID), that is set for browse but not find, and set to a dropdown value list of the Personnel Table primary keys but displaying the second field Personnel::Name.  Exactly on top of that field, set to find but not browse, I've placed the field Personnel::Name with a white fill to hide the underlying key.  This works fine from the client.  Clicking on the field produces the dropdown of names, and after the appropriate name is chosen, the correct name is displayed as the requestor.  This does not work with web direct, so I'm wondering if there is a better way?  It is important to maintain the relationship between the Orders record and the Personnel record through the foreign and primary keys.  I'm wondering if I'm missing a new feature that would make this much easier to set up.

Perhaps select the RequestorId in a popover, rather than layering the fields? Look at the Invoice starter solution for an example of a picker in a popover. 

And, when WebDirect supports card windows, switch to a card picker.

Or, start a new Order from the Requestor record.

Cool, I'll try the popover.  I had looked at a couple of the starters for different approaches but I hadn't looked at Invoices- it seems to do a very nice job with this.  Thanks very much.

This topic is 1608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.