Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Server upgraded to 18 - Databases looking for old server

Rezoot

This topic is 1603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

So we have a FMServer 14 (FMS1), I installed a new Windows Server 2016 and installed FMServer 18 (FMS2) on it, moved all the databases and everything was working great.

The "start" database references 20 other DBs and opens them in tabs and sub-boxes. We turn off FMS1 and the Start DB can't open any of the sub DBs.

The client found an old email from the previous designer which hints that the scripts were referencing FMS1's IP address. Now I'm not sure what direction to go to. 

Anyone seen this kind of behaviour? I'm a network/infrastructure engineer and this is totally out of my league.

When a FM file references another FM file, there is a file reference involved.  Typically, when all the files are hosted on the same server that reference is (and should be) as simple as "file:<other FM file name>".  If the reference is more complex than that then it needs to change to the simple form.

You may have to get a FM dev involved here to run a quick analysis using the analysis tools to list out all the file references and a workplan to get them all into the proper shape.

Hard to say without knowing the solution but since there are 20 files involved it may take a bit of work.  And if you are not familiar with FM the work may break some links.

What support contract are you referring to?  FileMaker/Claris support does not cover this since this specific to your solution, not a malfunction of a particular feature.

Here's how I would do it:

- run an XML DDR (Database Design Report) on all 20 files

- import it into the BaseElements analysis tool (or Inspector Pro or FMperception, that's a personal preference)

- review and list out all the file references, in all the files

- depending on what each looks like and what the analysis teaches me about why it references are not already in their simple form, change it to its most simple form or tweak it so that it fits the new deployment

- when done, run a new DDR and import into the analysis tool to make sure nothing got missed and that no dependencies on the file reference(s) got messed up

• Newbies

That makes sense. When you say simple form, I"ll take it to mean relative references. E.g. in html you can refer to another file "images\pic.jpg", instead of "http:\\xyz.com\images\pic.jpg".

Where would I go make that change?

• Newbies

I found the the reference to external databases in the Edit Layout \ External Sources section and fixed all to "file:" references.

I still have 3 databases that won't open (23/26 work). Now have to find the log where it would show me why those 3 are not opening.

• Newbies

Issues with the last of the 3 databases are also resolved. They were erroring out saying the security is invalid (or something to that effect). I was able to find a cure where version 17/18 had to get a lowering of security to let those 3 database work.

Thanks for hand holding Wim DecorteAppreciate your help.

This topic is 1603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.