How to convert Jim Smith to "Smith, J

This topic is 7935 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

If you have a choice, create separate fields for the first name and last name. Then your calc would be = LastName & ", " & Left(FirstName,1). This also makes life easier when the person your talking about is Bobbie-Jay Sue Hamilton-Smith III, instead of Fred Jones.

In general, its better to keep your data elements small because this allows you greater flexibility in design. You can always create calc fields later on to combine them in any way you want. This is especially important for addresses, where summary reports by city, postcode, state or country would be difficult if these were all in the one field - but very easy if they were separate.

Thanks Russ and Trevorg for your help and yes, I do have first and last names in seperate fields. The calculation works great and does exactly what I need it to.

Russ, How are things in Australia this fine day. I have a friend in the offcie who is from Malta. He has a lot of family in Australia and plans to move there in 5 years. I spend a lot of time with Austrilian Rangers in Vietnam and have the utmost respect for them and our Austrilian friends.

Harry

This topic is 7935 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.