FM 16.0.6 export to XML - named fields

printerGuy

This topic is 1542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi. trying to setup an automated workflow which would pull info from a FM document and create a properly named folder on a data server which would than have automated scripts for subfolders.

a coworker setup a FM document for his needs and I would not like to duplicate efforts. I need to ID the fields he made so I can take the data from each named field and

send it into a workflow. He exported an XML file for me, however, the fields he named do not keep the name, it keeps the data I want but I cannot isolate it.

here is sampling of XML export:

<COL><DATA>WE to produce. ETA TBD</DATA></COL>
<COL><DATA>F_CCDL-01247-38_FXLPUSDF-48-FLPUS-54_WL_hl9.pdf</DATA></COL>
<COL><DATA>12/27/2019</DATA></COL>
<COL><DATA>12/19/2019</DATA></COL>
<COL><DATA></DATA></COL>
<COL><DATA>Acquiring ETA</DATA></COL>
<COL><DATA>82</DATA></COL>
<COL><DATA>Acquiring ETA</DATA></COL>
<COL><DATA>14355_FQRS AS 50002541 FXLPUSDF-48_CCDL-01247-38</DATA></COL>

(see last line)

I want to pull the BOLD line "14355...", but cannot ID that line.

Is it possible to export to XML (or another format) where the field name is included and can be identified?

23 minutes ago, printerGuy said:

here is sampling of XML export:

You are showing only a snippet of the entire XML document. The document also has a METADATA section that lists all the exported field names and their types. The COL elements within a ROW section follow the same order - so the name of the field that contains the bold line in your example is the name of the 9th field in the METADATA section.

Note also that you can open the exported XML document in Filemaker and it will recreate the fields and their data as a Filemaker file.

Another option is to ask your coworker to choose the FMPDSORESULT grammar when exporting. Then you'll get a more human-readable format, where the data element names are based on the original field names.

This topic is 1542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.