Text transformed with TextStyleAdd issue

This topic is 1480 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just ran into an issue where I imported data that was in all caps into a Filemaker table from an Excel spreadsheet.   I then used TextStyleAdd( field1; Titlecase) to change it to title case.    In FileMaker,  it looks properly transformed.  If I copy that transformed text and paste it into another FileMaker text field it still looks transformed.    If I copy that transformed text and paste it into a text document OR I export that field  to anything other than a FileMaker file,  the text is in its untransformed state.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Transformed "HELLO" to "Hello".

2) Copied "Hello" and pasted into another FileMaker text field.  Result "Hello"

3) Copied "Hello" and pasted into text document.  Result "HELLO"

4) Exported the field that contains "Hello" and opened that export file.  Result "HELLO"

Is this expected behavior?  Does anyone know how I can make it so I can copy and paste or export this data and have it hold the transformed state.

P.S. I am on a Mac using FileMaker Pro 18 Advanced v18.0.3.317

Edited by Matt Klein

The TextStyleAdd() function does not "transform" the text. It merely adds a style to the existing text. When you copy styled text and paste it into another application, you may get the styled text or the plain text version, depending on the target application. Certainly, only plain text is exported when the target is a plain text file.

If you want to really "transform" the text - i.e. modify the actual characters - use the Proper() function instead.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, comment said:

The TextStyleAdd() function does not "transform" the text. It merely adds a style to the existing text. When you copy styled text and paste it into another application, you may get the styled text or the plain text version, depending on the target application. Certainly, only plain text is exported when the target is a plain text file.

If you want to really "transform" the text - i.e. modify the actual characters - use the Proper() function instead.

Thank you, comment.  

This topic is 1480 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.