Reporting clusters of field data

This topic is 7926 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Here is what I'm trying to do...

I have used FMPro to conduct a survey (each completed survey constitutes a single record within a single .fp5 file). The survey includes (among other things) 8 "comments" fields where participants can expand on certain survey responses.

What I'd like to do is produce a report that will cluster/group all of a particular comment type together. So, if Comment #1 received 10 replies (out of, say, 100 respondents), then I'd like my report to display Comment #1's 10 responses together (one after the other) in a separate section of the layout. The resulting report/layout would then have 8 sections, each displaying the responses that were received for that particular comment.

This seems like a simple thing to accomplish, but after reading the manuals and searching online I'm totally stumped and could really use some help. Thanks in advance.

Dan

I think the problem is the structure you are using for your files. It would be easier to create your report if the comments were related records stored in a separate "Comments" file. Then the comments could be sorted by Comment type 1, Comment type 2, etc. and printed. You can convert your existing data by performing a separate import to the new Comments file for each of the comments fields.

-bd

• Newbies

Thank you. I'll give it a whirl for the next survey that I work on.

In the mean time, I've muddled along by creating separate layouts for each of the 10 comments (then sorted each to remove the blanks).

This topic is 7926 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.