Server Maintenance This Week. ×

‘’Subselection’’ in value list

This topic is 1366 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everyone,

My title may be a bit obscure, so I’ll explain. I am using FM 16.

I have records that hold the results of ancestry research. Each record has one main person and several other persons. So sometimes person A is the main person in a record and ‘’another’’ person in a different record.

I have a portal that displays all the records. I’m filtering this portal using a global field and a value list. The problem I have is this: if I pick, say, person A in the dropdown list, what I’m getting in the portal is all the records where A is either the main person or ‘’another’’ person. I’d like to be able to filter the portal further by choosing, say when I select person A from the dropdown, whether I want the records where person A is the main person or only those where person A is ‘’another’’ person. I guess I could use a Case function in the filtering calculation of the portal, but how can set up the dropdown list so that it gives me two options when I select a name?

Thanks for your help.

9 minutes ago, Tom Harvey said:

how can set up the dropdown list so that it gives me two options when I select a name?

I don't see how it could possibly do such thing: the name of the person is the same name, regardless of whether they are the "main" person or "another" - is it not? Why not use another global field to make the selection between "main" and "another", then base the filtering calculation on that?

A side note:

15 minutes ago, Tom Harvey said:

Each record has one main person and several other persons.

I am not sure I understand the structure you describe - and it does not resemble any structure I would think of in context of "ancestry research".

• Newbies

Thanks for your reply.

can you explain how this second global field would work? Would it use a different value list where the name of each person would be duplicated with one instance followed by ''main'' and the other followed by ''another'', or something like that? Would that be the idea?

This topic is 1366 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.