As a Claris partner, we also resell FileMaker licenses. Buying the license from us has some extra benefits, one of them being a nicely formatted PDF document with all information about the license, including download links. In order to be able to generate this document from our FileMaker based CRM, I needed to find a way to include functional web links in it. So I wrote a custom function that does it, without needing any plug-ins or other external technologies.

pdfwithlinks.thumb.jpg.65094f6a4508700ff70d69c6b9330285.jpg

The custom function simply takes a PDF saved from FileMaker, and adds a link to it. As long as you know what page and where on that page you want the link to be, you can modify your PDF that easily.

pdflinksexample.thumb.png.339008d024feb930ab317143781bc5cc.png

No plug-ins are needed, no web viewer, so it works in the whole platform, including WebDirect and server-side scripts.

Click here to get the example and read the story behind it.

Edited by HOnza
  • Similar Content

• By HOnza
      I needed to decode HTML encoded text in FileMaker. I thought this must have been done many times before, so I tried to search for a suitable custom function at BrianDunning.com and FMFunctions.com. After checking few functions I found one that seemed pretty good...
      Read the whole article
    • By HOnza
      Two weeks ago I wrote an article about a FileMaker custom function I needed to preprocess some data imported from the web. I used this custom function in an auto-enter calculation to immediately preprocess the data while being imported. I created a server-side script that does the import every morning. But when I discovered that the import was taking over an hour every day, I saw it deserves some optimization. I used FM Bench Detective and optimized the custom function to evaluate up to several hundreds times faster…
      Read the whole article...
    • By HOnza
      This is the first example I was showing in my session Marvelous Optimizations at Pause On Error [x] London 2011. I already wrote about this optimization some time ago. It’s the one that led me to unveil the Marvelous Optimization Formula. You can find the original article here: FileMaker Script Execution Time Cut From 5 Hours To 6 Seconds
      I simply took the example and added FM Bench Detective into it to be able to exactly measure and examine what happens in the slow and the optimized script. Now you can watch the result in this video recorded at Pause On Error.
      Read more and download the sample file at honza.24uSoftware.com
    • By HOnza
      The second example I was showing in my session Marvelous Optimizations at Pause On Error [x] London 2011 was the script for selecting Random Set of Records. I found this example in the FileMaker Knowledge Base and optimized it to run at least 158 times faster when selecting 10 random records out of 50,000.
      This version of the example has FM Bench Detective script steps included to measure the original and the optimized script more precisely. Watch the video recorded at Pause On Error below to learn more details about this optimization.
      Read more and download the sample file at honza.24uSoftware.com
    • By HOnza
      Last September I wrote an article about a custom function that I optimized to evaluate hundreds times faster. At the end of the article, I challenged my readers and myself by claiming that the already optimized custom function can be optimized even further. Do you remember?
      Later on I actually really optimized it again, and talked about this optimization during my session at Pause On Error [x] London 2011. Now you can watch the video of this part of my session below:
      Read more and download my updated sample file at honza.24uSoftware.com.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.