Need Help with Relationship

Jennifer

This topic is 1253 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everyone.  I am new to this forum, so I hope I am posting in the right spot.  I created a database for my company at work. On multiple screens I have a patient lookup.  The relationship is patient table: last name = insurance table: last name lookup.  The lookup is a drop down that shows patient last name and first name and then pulls other corresponding information when selected.  The lookup works, however it only pulls one record.  Example.  If I have multiple patients with the same last name like smith only one smith shows up in the box.  I need all the smiths to show up to pick the right patient.  It seems like it should be such a simple thing but it isn't pulling the records.  I did check the patient database and yes all the records are there.  I also checked that I have selected the all records option in the relationship box.  I am using filemaker 17.  Can anyone help me or have you seen this issue before.  Thank you very much.

3 hours ago, Jennifer said:

I need all the smiths to show up to pick the right patient. 

A lookup copies data from the first related record only.To show all related records, you need to use a portal based on a relationship matching on last name. Have a button in the portal for selecting the right record. This button should call a script that grabs the selected record's data and populates local fields with them.

Alternatively, you could use the Go to Related Record[] script step to show the related records in a card window and allow the selection to proceed from there.

This is assuming that you really want to do a "lookup" - i.e. copy the selected record's data. Otherwise you should only grab the selected record's unique ID and use it as the match field for a second relationship to the same table. The difference is that in the former case the copied data will not change if the original record is modified.

Edited by comment

This topic is 1253 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.