How to use "allow creation of records"...and "delete related records in this table"...in the left side in the edit relationship

Spidey

This topic is 1235 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

How to use "allow creation of records"...and "delete related records in this table"...in the edit relationship.  I have attached a file, and I know how to use the "allow creation" and "Delete related records" on the right side(Invoicelineitem).  When I delete the records, I know it would delete the line items when I check "delete related records" in the invoice lineline items.

I don't know how to use the allow creation of records and delete related records on the left side(Invoice) in the edit relationship.  Thanks for your help

Regards,

KC

Untitled 2.png

TestRelationship.fmp12

23 minutes ago, Spidey said:

how to use the allow creation of records and delete related records on the left side

There are no rules for this. It all depends on your particular situation. Do you want the parent record to be deleted when user deletes one of its children? In the situation you describe - invoices and line items - the answer would be no. Do you want the user to create a child record first, and then - from the same layout - create the parent record just by filling out  some of the parent's details? Again, in the situation you describe the answer would be usually no. So the answer to your question would be: don't use them.

That's not to say they could not be used in other scenarios (for example in a one-to-one relationship).

Keep in mind that Filemaker doesn't know which side is "left" and which is "right". These sides exist only on a conceptual level.

This topic is 1235 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.