Deleting files from exteral storage container fields

This topic is 1175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I am hoping you can help me with this concern.  I am storing signature forms (pdf and word documents) in container fields on a hosted FileMaker Server (externally).  The file name uses a confirmation number (unique each time) as the file name.  

After three years, we have to delete (shred) the signature forms.  My question is does the actual file get deleted from the server when I "cut or delete" the document from the container field in the FileMaker record?  For security reasons, we need both the actual document and the Filemaker reference to be removed or deleted.  

If deleting the content from the container field does not actually delete the file from the external storage device, what do you recommend?   I hope this makes sense. 

Greetings Patty,

If you clear the field the remote container is also deleted if you delete the record the container is also deleted. 

My I also suggest that you enable "SECURE" containers this way they are encrypted and do not appear on the server as a viewable PDF or photo. Also you should turn on Encryption At Rest on the server (EAR) so that all backups require an encryption passphrase and the credentials to access any backups. 

This topic is 1175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.