Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Adding a comment in excel using Scribe

This topic is 1133 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Is is possible to insert a comment in excel? I don't see it anywhere in the documentation under the DocWriteValue function, but I just want to make sure.

This is the problem I'm trying to solve:

My client runs a script in FileMaker that uses Scribe to create an Excel document. Overall, the process has been working great, but she's requested something and I'm not sure the best way to accomplish it. She wants to add a large chunk of text (this is something that could take up the length of the screen and then some). If I were to do this in filemaker, I'd have to break the paragraph into however many lines are needed. I'm prepared to do that, but the easiest thing would be to simply store the text in a comment. Wrapping won't work because I'm still pasting it into a single cell. 

I'm assuming inserting text into a comment is simply not something Scribe does, but just want to rule it out before i do the work required in FileMaker (which would likely involve running a script to parse the paragraph into separate lines to be inserted as normal using DocWriteValue). 

Hi RachelL,

You are correct, Scribe does not currently support writing comments in Excel. We are in the process of making some changes to Scribe so I will mention this to the developer to see if it is something that we can incorporate. However, I can't promise that it will nor can I provide an ETA on when it would be available if it was so I would recommend going ahead with your plan. 

• Newbies
43 minutes ago, ryan360Works said:

Hi RachelL,

You are correct, Scribe does not currently support writing comments in Excel. We are in the process of making some changes to Scribe so I will mention this to the developer to see if it is something that we can incorporate. However, I can't promise that it will nor can I provide an ETA on when it would be available if it was so I would recommend going ahead with your plan. 

Thank you for your quick reply. No need to add the feature on my account. I'll need to get this done for my client within the next month or so. I'll be fine without a new Scribe feature - was just hoping it existed since it would cut the development time by a lot.

Thank you though. Much appreciated!

This topic is 1133 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.