Creating a summarized report/list by individual values in a checkbox value list

Rich S

This topic is 1095 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

*sigh* It's a good thing I'm paid by the hour.

After Comment's outstanding help with setting up a value list for grade levels, I've run into a snag: how to create a summarized list by individual grade level when each record's value list contains multiple-checked values? Example: If I want an ascending-order, summarized list of teachers who teach in 1st grade, then 2nd grade, then third grade, etc., how do I parse that from a value list field (GradeLevel) where ticked checkboxes have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5?

My best guess is to create a looping script to parse 14* separate variables--using GetValue--to generate discrete values for use in a Find-by-grade level (also looped), then sorting the whole mess, but that reeks of Rube Goldberg-type coding. 

How should I go about this?

Ciao,

Rich

*Preschool, K, and 1 through 12 = 14

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 11.18.03 AM.png

30 minutes ago, WF7A said:

want an ascending-order, summarized list of teachers who teach in 1st grade, then 2nd grade, then third grade, etc.,

Earlier I asked if you really need a child table of Grades, where each grade of a teacher is an individual record. The answer is that if you want a list of teachers by grade, then yes, you need to produce such report from the child Grades table.

If you only need summary values (e.g. how many teachers are in each grade), you may be able to do without the child table by having a script write the counts into a text field. I don't think you need to perform a find for each value, though. You can use a summary field to list all checked values in the entire found set and work your summaries off that.

Edited by comment

Thanks, and I apologize for doubling your efforts in answering my requests.

I'll check with the end users which way they want to go with this. 

This topic is 1095 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.