Import file name without extension

This topic is 816 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello, I'm new to FM and am building a graphics database. I want to import the graphics from various folders and use the file name to identify each graphic.

Is it possible to import only the name of the file, without the extension (.png in my case)?

I am assuming you are talking about importing a folder of files, as described here:
https://help.claris.com/en/pro-help/content/importing-folder.html

If you want to import the file name without the extension, you can define the target field to auto-enter a calculated value using a formula that removes the extension - for example (assuming a 3-letter extension): 

Left ( Self ; Length ( Self ) - 4 

Alternatively, you could leave the imported file name as is and use a similar calculation elsewhere to give you the desired identification. It's not entirely clear how you intend to use the result.

• Newbies

Hello @comment, thank you for the reply and the suggestion. I will try it out.

Yes, I want to import the graphics contained in folders. And I then want that each graphic is identified in the database by the name from the file name. The extension .xxx is useless for this.

The graphics I want to import are used as symbols in energy installation diagrams for buildings. Each symbol has a specific and unique name and is used to depict a specific equipment in the installation. And each of them have a description about it and where / when to use it. All this is described in a long pdf from the local norming organization. I want to transfer all this information to a database to make it easier to find the right symbols when drawing a diagram. And the names in the file names of the .png pictures I have can be used to link them to each description from the pdf file, which I need to import separately.

I don't understand why FileMaker doesn't have this option already built into the import dialogue. Import file with file name with or without extension. What's the point of keeping the .xxx extension in the database? I have imported the same graphic files to graphic programs, and they all automatically stripped off the .xxx extension and used only the name part of the file name.

Edited by CrisRich58

This topic is 816 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.