I am looking to help someone with legacy Windows FM Server, Version 12, getting a NOT FOUND message, on open a 'menu.fpm12' file

This topic is 810 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am looking to help someone with legacy Windows FM Servers, Version 12, getting a NOT FOUND message, on open a 'menu.fpm12' file.

Running Windows Clients and Windows Servers only.

I know the message isn't really about the 'file not found' or 'not being able to be opened, as the file is there and
every user gets the same messages, and there were NO CHANGES to cause this.

I don't know anything about what makes File Maker tick, but I suspect there is something in the FPM12 file
that directs it where to go, what to do, and it's having a problem with that.... not 'opening the file'

THer are multiple copies of this file, in multiple locations, and they give the same message, so I know
it's not the file itself.

What can I do find out what the actual problem is? as in what is that file trying to do, go, etc..etc..

As far as I know all of the server resources are available, everything is 'accessible' and we've restarted
the servers, and desktops, and no change and this has never happened before with the very few
problems they've ever had.

We have 'backups' but this happened late in the day, and of course on this particular day there was
a lot of work entered and would prefer not to have to revert and lose a day or more of work and would
appreciate any heads up guidance as how to troubleshoot!

Thank you to anyone and everyone in advance and I am researching this further!

thank you again!

Edited by Helping Hands

• Newbies

I've been able to confirm this file, which I am calling 'a launcher' seems to be a menu system, which connects to independent database files, which as far as I can tell, are
present and available.

It also seems this launcher, has something to do with the users/permissions and access to those other database files.

In working with the menu.fpm12 file, I was eventually able to get it to 'go forward' and request a filemaker user name and password, and then in doing that,
i was presented with "filemaker sharing settings issues' and in working with the local filemaker pro sharing settings, or declining/agreeing with the prompts,
the menu appears, has 'large buttons' with the name of functions, and those buttons appear to be connected to independent database files.

I get various results when using the buttons as in 'access denied' and/or if I get them open, them to seem 'work' however in trying to make changes, filemaker
responds with 'file not modifiable' which is where I get the idea the launcher, is handing off users/permissions related info to those database files.

Hard to know where to start here.

1. The title of your post is confusing. Version 9 of FileMaker Pro cannot open fmp12 files and version 9 of the server cannot host them.

2. "multiple copies of this file, in multiple locations" - what does this mean? If you're hosting a file on a server then there would only be one copy of it. Do you mean that each user has their own local copy of the launcher/menu file?

3. Perhaps you want to take a look at Editing external FileMaker data sources

• Newbies

Hello Fitch and thank you for responding.

Since my post, i've been digging and learning the environment.

It appears as if there is ONLY V12 running at this time.

I've gotten a little further in the sense i've been able to OPEN the launcher, and get to the
menus/databases/functions, however they are 'not modifiable' but at least I was able
to VIEW and PRINT some needed information, but again it will not do much more than that.

I'm currently battling the issue of NOT being able to login with 'an admin account' either into the launcher,
i do have various logins, but none of them seem to be admins.

I am also not able to locate/access the 'admin console' and I am trying to figure out 'what makes that tick/run'

As far as I can tell Java is NOT being used on the server hosting the files, and I am wondering if i should
introduce it as in Java 7 75 and/or earlier as 12 appears to not work beyond that.

I am vaguely aware of TOMCAT 'webserver' and I don't see anything for that running/available either
so I don't understand how the admin console is published or presents itself.

I have turned off the firewall on the server itself, which is 2008 r2, no change there.

I think i mentioned before, I have located the independent database files themselves, which are
accessed through the launcher/menu buttons, after a user logs into FileMaker.

so right now I am trying to figure out how to login to the admin console, or fix the admin console
so that it can be accessed or at least 'published/presented'.

I am now reviewing the link you provided.

thank you

The goal of that link is to 'manage external sources'

I am not able to make that menu option available, I am looking for 'alternative or troubleshooting methods to opening FileMakerPro'

Are you able to reach the admin start page? You should be able to launch the admin console from there. It is a java app in version 12. You'll have to google or search this forum for the exact java version needed.

If you don't have the server admin login info though, it won't do you much good.

• Newbies

No I am not, and I am a little confused on this note, as it appears that JAVA is NOT required on V12, and on the server
where it is running, does NOT have java.

Then I started to look into what version of Java is supported, and it appears to be up to V7 Update 75, and all
the versions of Java are available and I have several available.

Interesting thing is when I installed v12 onto a new server, and I got to the admin page, it in fact does
say JAVA is required, and when I installed Java, then the page no longer responded, AT ALL... 

Also, i've been given the admin password for FM and they are certain that is it, however to the best of my knowledge, regardless
of where and how I enter that password, it says it's NOT correct.

Then i see you can 'remove the admin password' but only at the risk of removing other elements, plug ins, etc..etc.. which I
dont know what effect that will have.

I am onsite now, seeing how this might progress

First you say "no I am not" -- as in no, you can't get to the server admin page? And then you say... "I got to the admin page..."

Then you mention the admin password for FM, and I think here you're talking about the password for a particular file? That's different than the password you'll need to log in to the FileMaker Server admin console.

You can indeed remove the admin password from a file -- but only if you know the admin password. This is a feature for securing a file, it's not going to be helpful for you here.

This topic is 810 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.