Need a little help with the schema

Rich S

This topic is 724 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

(Refer to the attached)

Greets, all:

I'm racking my brain on how to pull this off: The Parent table has school district records and the Child table has tasks needed be done for each district; the AT Responsible is the name of the person assigned to each task record.

What I want to do is create a list of all districts and all taks while in the parent table; users will be able to click the AT Responsible field tha'll perform a scripted Find so they can pull up all of their records. As you can see, what's showing (for now) is a simple parent-to-child relationship with the school district field in the left-hand portal (which is the same School District field in the upper-left of the Parent table); the AT Responsible field points to the child (visit_form.VISIT_FORM_IMPROVE_FALL ) table.

So, what I guess i'm asking is "How do I pull off a many-to-many parent relationship to include all the children records in a portal that's parked on the parent records?"

More coffee. : )

Ciao,

Rich

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 12.03.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 12.03.32 PM.png

I find this very confusing. First you say there is a parent-child relationship between Districts and Tasks:

Districts --< Tasks

Then it seems there is (or should be) also a table of People, so that each task can be assigned to a specific person:

Districts --< Tasks >-- People

so that in essence Tasks becomes a join table between Districts and People. Although I would presume that People is also a child of Districts, so you would want to use another occurrence for the person responsible for a Task, say:

People >-- Districts --< Tasks >-- ResponsiblePerson

That would seem to cover the ERD. Not sure what user interface elements such as portals have to do with this. There is no way to create a list of all parents and their children using a layout of the parent table - nor should it be necessary.

As I said, I may be missing some crucial points here - feel free to clarify. 

Nah, you're not missing anything--it's my feeble attempt at trying to be detailed in a description.

I solved the problem after reading your post: I created a new text field in the child table (that auto-populates with the District Name) and created a Cartesian-Product of the child table; now I'm good-to-go.

Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 4.31.36 PM.png

2022-04-27_16-41-16.png

This topic is 724 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.