Create value list from single global field with multiple values

muzz

This topic is 687 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm wanting to create a value list that offers years in the range 5 years prior through to 5 years after the current year, self updating from year to year via calculation. I have found the range I need through a custom function with parameters of starting year and ending year which returns a single field with the list of years within the one field. I can't however figure out how to use this single field of multiple values as a value list.

It may be obvious but I haven't been able to find a way of achieving what I want - it may not be the best way so any help is appreciated. 

The "official" answer to your question is that a calculation field that relies on the current date must be unstored, and a value list cannot be based on an unstored (i.e. unindexable) field.

However, there is an undocumented hack: if you define the value list to use only related values through some relationship, and dismiss the warning you'll get, it will work. 

--
P.S. Your title mentions a global field - but a global field will not "self-update from year to year". 

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

Perfect. There is always someone on this forum willing to help out, and a great source of information that would otherwise remain undocumented as you put it. Thanks so much (once again) for your help.

This topic is 687 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.