I have a file on my computer that launches a file on the server, I would like to copy this file to be local to FileMaker Go 19

This topic is 654 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a file on my computer that launches a file on the server, I would like to copy this file to be local to FileMaker Go 19. What is best practice for moving this launch file from computer to be stored on the iPhone locally?

I already have this file as an email attachment on the iPhone, however I'm unable to find the other local FileMaker files when saving this file from email.

Edited by ggt667

You can send via iMessage. I've used that a a quick and dirty way to get FMP files to and from my iPad.

As far as opening the file is concerned, iOS locks down the files by App... and this case is no different. So, you must save to your Files anywhere you can. Then, open the Files app, open the FMP file "in Filemaker Go". Then, iOS will copy it to the Filemaker Go Files folder.

Edited by JamesBand

Making the attachment open in FileMaker Go works fine. How do you copy this attachment to a location where FileMaker can see the file?

Edited by ggt667

When you "Open in Filemaker Go" iOS copies the database to the Filemaker Sandbox. Then Filemaker Go opens that copy from inside the sandbox. When you close the FMP12 database file (Not Filemaker Go) it should remain in the sandbox.

Let me be clear... We don't get direct access to the Filemaker Go file area. iOS has to copy external FMP12 files to that area for us as a part of the "Open in Filemaker Go" process.

Edited by JamesBand

Exactly the same as I do, however I do not get cuts or my equivalent thereof in recent or on my iPad.

Well, if that isn't working for you and you have the latest Go installed... I think you might try another approach. Maybe a URL that opens a small FMP Server hosted FMP12 directly. This would be a small custom installer that would have the frontend you originally mentioned in a container field. The opening script would save the file in the container field to the iPad. This would naturally go into the Filemaker sandbox since that is the folder Filemaker has access to. 

I'm on iPhone 13 Max. FileMaker 19 Go, all new and installed June 26th this year.

Edited by ggt667

So, I just created a quick and dirty shared DB on my mac. 

The DB has:

• a container field (with a DB file I want to install in FM Go on my iPhone)
  • an Install button on the layout that links to a script

The script:

• sets variable $path to get(documentspath)
  • then exports the contents of the container field to $path

Chain of events for install:

1. sent a link to the DB from my Mac via iMessage to my iPhoneSE 2020
  2. opened the link on my iPhone
  3. it promptly warned me and I told it to Connect
  4. I clicked install on the layout
  5. then, closed the shared DB
  6. Finally, I selected (still in GO) My Apps > On My iPhone... and the DB from the container is in the list.

You could give this a try. It might be a better solution for deployment.

Edited by JamesBand

This topic is 654 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.