Sign in to follow this  
jfrick

grab a value from a list then run a script that's

..assigned to that field. The field is formatted to select a value from a value list using a pop-up list. Once a value is selected I want to run a script. I thought this could be done by using pause /resume features but I've forgotten how to do it.

Sighhhh. We all wish we could run a script upon field exit, but with FMP we can not, yet. However, Oazium Events (a plug-in) lets us do that.

Get the user to click on a button! Select the value, click the button...

Yes, it can be done with a Pause/Resume script step.

There are various example files around that demonstrate variations on the technique. Some of them have been around for quite a while, but the technique is still valid nonetheless.

I dug up a couple of copies for another posting recently. They are unlocked copies of demos which were created/published by Al Fleming and James Mastrianni respectively. Copies of them (in a zipped archive) are still available for download from my server if you're interested. The URL for the download file is:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/script_trigger.zip

Never say never. Thank you Cobalt Sky! The script is a little different from what I've used in the past, but it gets the job done. Thanks, again and G'Day!

This sounds exactly what I am looking for myself! Is there a version of script trigger that isn't a ZIP file? I'm a mac user and I'm having trouble unZIPing files.

Can anyone help?

Hello Mark,

I've compressed a copy of the same set of files as a Mac self-extracting archive for you. It is accessible from my server at:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/script_trigger.sea

Hopefully you'll have better luck accessing this version smile.gif

Curious, I managed to cue a script based on a pop up menu with the 'go to field' and 'pause script' steps in Windows. It worked perfectly. Yet, on my Mac, the 'go to field script' won't even open the pop up menu (regardless of whether the field is accessible or not). I have to click on the field a second time. It makes the whole "one-step" script useless.

The pop-up menu and pop-up list options behave a little differently on different platforms. On Win the menu option works best. On Mac, you have to use the pop-up list option.

If you want it to work x-plat, it is possible to put both in, and to have the script choose between them depending which platform it is on. If you want to see a working model of this, you will find one at:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos/ScriptMenu.zip

(or for a stuffit archive version for MacOS, replace the .zip suffix at the end of the URL with .sit)