Get(ApplicationVersion) not working in FileMaker Pro Advanced 18?

This topic is 610 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hey all, I need a way to differentiate a Runtime from someone using a solution using FileMaker. 

The Get(ApplicationVersion) is supposed to show "Runtime" if someone is using a runtime, but I've found this doesn't work. When I convert a FM18 solution to a Runtime, and definitely launch the Runtime, the Get(ApplicationVersion) still shows "ProAdvanced 18.x" (I forgot the exact version number it displayed.)

I've updated to the latest version of FM Pro Advanced 18, and it still doesn't work.

I can never get the Get(ApplicationVersion) to display "Runtime"

I know Runtimes are deprecated, but I need a function that will go to a different layout if someone is using the Runtime version vs. launching the same solution using FileMaker. Get(ApplicationVersion) was supposed to do this, but it does not.

Anyone have any ideas?
Much appreciated, thanks. 

• Newbies
43 minutes ago, comment said:

How are you testing this?

Thank you for your reply. At first I had a script with an if statement, that looked for Get(ApplicationVersion), and if it was "Runtime" then it should go to a different layout.

I would produce the runtime, launch it, and it kept failing.

So then for process of elimination, I created a new database with only one field. A calculation field with a global that was just "Get(ApplicationVersion)".

In browse mode it displays: "ProAdvanced 18.0.3" when running FileMaker. This is correct.

When I create a runtime of this exact simple solution, again, launching the runtime does not display "Runtime" now but rather still displays "ProAdvanced 18.0.3" even when running the runtime.

I've attached a screen shot of the runtime, and the simple/basic solution file just for reference.

I'd love a way to differentiate when a user is launching the runtime vs. launching the same solution in FileMaker. This is failing for me with the Get(ApplicationVersion) function. :(

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 2.23.59 PM.png

GetApplication.fmp12.zip

Edited by OtisM

Your calculation field is global, therefore stored. Therefore it keeps the value it had when evaluated for the first time. To have a valid test, you must make the field unstored. (And strictly speaking, the result type should be Text.)

Note also that the result of Get(ApplicationVersion) will never be "Runtime".  It will be something like "Runtime 18.0.3" (or similar, untested). So if your script is testing for Get(ApplicationVersion) = "Runtime"  it will never get a true result. 

Edited by comment
  • Thanks 1

• Newbies
23 minutes ago, comment said:

Your calculation field is global, therefore stored. Therefore it keeps the value it had when evaluated for the first time. To have a valid test, you must make the field unstored. (And strictly speaking, the result type should be Text.)

Note also that the result of Get(ApplicationVersion) will never be "Runtime".  It will be something like "Runtime 18.0.3" (or similar, untested). So if your script is testing for Get(ApplicationVersion) = "Runtime"  it will never get a true result. 

You are awesome. Like, really awesome!

Your simple explanation fixed my problem entirely. Thank you!

I redid the calculation field as you mentioned and it worked like a charm. I read the manual for this and it didn't mention any of that. So I sincerely thank you, and I know runtimes are going the way of the dodo bird, but hopefully my stupidity will help someone down the road who finds this question via google, because I searched and didn't find anything. :)

Thanks again!!

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 3.04.38 PM.png

Edited by OtisM

This topic is 610 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.