Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Fm13: Having to recover file after just one entry

This topic is 418 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everyone, I'm finding myself having to recover this file after just one record entry.  Have done recoveries 5x already, with each time doing a backup.  Does this mean the file is damaged beyond a good repair?  Would I need to restart from one of the old backups?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, clean said:

Does this mean the file is damaged beyond a good repair?

Very likely so. I believe file recovery has improved in more recent versions, but I would still follow the traditional advice to use a recovered file only to retrieve your data.

That said, there may be something in your system that exposes files to corruption (e.g. a backup utility). You should see what happens to another file in the same location.

12 minutes ago, clean said:

Would getting the latest version of FM allow me to recover the file, once converted?

The current version of FM still uses the same .fmp12 file format, so there would be no need to convert the file. Whether the recovery would be more effective is anyone's guess.

There is also the question of OS to consider: I am not sure there is an OS that can reliably run both v.13 and the current v.19 - see:
https://support.claris.com/s/article/FileMaker-Pro-operating-system-requirements-all-versions-1503692917754?language=en_US

Edited by comment

This topic is 418 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.