Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker not importing all file types

teecee

This topic is 407 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm working on a document management system where all files are imported and kept in containers in a FM databse.

using the File > Import > Folder function, importing all files within the folder into container fields.

however, filemaker selectively does NOT import excel, csv or text files into the containers. It imports the other file formats (images, videos, exe files, etc) 

the error that shows up after the import when trying to this is '4 files in (directoryname) cannot be imported because they are not the specified file type'

I am NOT trying to import that data inside the files, just the files into the containers. 

if i drag and drop the files into the container field, they are saved ok. but i can't seem to be able to do it by importing in bulk using this import>folder command

an alternative approach if this can't be resolved i thought could be to get the full directory path listings within the target folder that needs to be imported and step through each file and insert individually since that option works but i'm not sure how to get a directory path listing for a chosen folder as opposed to the standard available path listing commande like get documentpathlisting etc. i want the user to be able to select the folder they want to import into the documents system and filemaker to grab every file within that folder and insert into the container fields

any ideas?

I would script this process and use BEPlugin if this is a routine solution. If it is a task you do or a one-time thing you could use the terminal to get lists of file paths OR go to the folder select all files and hold down the option key and right-click you will see the option to Copy ## Items as Path Names, put this list into a global field and then loop thru that to Insert files into containers by the path. 

thank you, i was hoping it could be done without an external plugin. it will be a feature of the solution i'm working on so would need to be able to be done regularly by the users..

could do that, thank you. but also would like to cater for PC users as there are a couple in the network..

i don't really have experience with such scripts on pc

This topic is 407 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.