Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Trying to get portal to filter duplicates & summarize

RRS

This topic is 380 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi gang.

I'm trying to get a portal working. This is a day trading journal. There will be multiple trades per day, so I'd like to summarize and show the total return (RR) for all trading days in a portal.

I've been looking at this example from a previous post on the forum. As far as I can tell I've got all the pieces in place, but this portal is still simply showing all records in the related table.

I've got a stripped down example file prepared, but I don't see how to attach it to my post as I see in others' posts. Here's the link.

I imagine it's something simple, but I can't see it! Any help would be appreciated!

Here's a screenshot from an Excel version of this, to make it clear what I'm aiming for.

Update: I got the portal filtering working, I missed that the sorting has to happen in the self-join table, not the main child table. I also see that the portal summary field needs to come from the self-join table in order to summarize correctly. I didn't realize you could put fields from two different table instances in a portal!

Got it working now.

Edited by RRS

5 minutes ago, comment said:

If you have read the linked thread to the end, you might have noticed that no sorting is necessary. Here's a minimal demo:

UniqueValues+Summary.fmp12 160 kB · 0 downloads

I did see that, thanks. Maybe I should have been more specific in my text – the link is pointing toward Mr Vodka's post with an alternate solution, and that's the one I was working off of.

Edited by RRS

This topic is 380 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.