Server Maintenance This Week. ×

What are the minimum requirements of FileMaker “Runtime Apps”

Hi everyone:

given that a runtime app is a stripped-down fileMaker with just enough FileMaker to make the thing go; I would assume that just the runtime environment and the data file’s minimum system requirements would be very similar to if not slightly less than the System Requirements For The Full FileMaker Pro 12 or 12 Advanced applications as stated by Claris/FileMaker 

does anyone have an idea as to if the requirements are less than, greater than, or equal to those linked above?  If the minimum requirements  for runtime apps differ in any significant way; please specify how they differ. 

thanks for the help

The runtime was deprecated for many years and officially removed from FM 19. I would say that any minimum required versions would be dependent on the version the runtime is operating on 18 being the last one.

https://support.claris.com/s/article/System-Requirements-for-FileMaker-Pro-18-Advanced?language=en_US

Most users are one OS update from not being able to properly run FM 18 let alone a runtime. 

1 hour ago, Ocean West said:

The runtime was deprecated for many years and officially removed from FM 19. I would say that any minimum required versions would be dependent on the version the runtime is operating on 18 being the last one.

https://support.claris.com/s/article/System-Requirements-for-FileMaker-Pro-18-Advanced?language=en_US

Most users are one OS update from not being able to properly run FM 18 let alone a runtime. 

Well, I’m currently on 12 and that’s mostly a desktop app solution

well one possible solution to extend the availability and access to FMP12  if for some reason you did have a newer computer is you could use a VM of an older version of OS and FM12 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ocean West said:

well one possible solution to extend the availability and access to FMP12  if for some reason you did have a newer computer is you could use a VM of an older version of OS and FM12 

That is exactly what I’m doing. In the meantime. Right now everything works under the current windows 11, however shed something blowup in my face as it often does then I can fall back to running FM 12 and applications as such in a virtual machine. If I wanted to sell my solutions then Clearly, this would not be the way to go as who would want to pay for a separate  VMWare Workstation License, which vmware is my preferred virtualization platform of choice.