Protecting my Runtime Solutions

Hello:

I want to ensure that my stand-alone runtime solutions are protected from software piracy, rather than trying to make a serial checking algorithm myself, I have a software protection system that wraps my runtime EXE in a shell that then keeps track of the trial limits and handles entering of registration keys. My questions are as follows:

1) my software protection system can protect a handful (literally 5) of “Additional files” (namely *.dll, *.ocx, *.exe); which files that get created with my runtime app should I add to the additional files area if any at all, should just protecting the runtime EXE be ok?

2) to allow mac users to try my solution using FileMaker on Mac or FileMaker Go on mobile (or if they want to test in a networked environment) what kind of barriers can I place within my file itself to make the demo unsuitable for production use (e.g. record limits without the presence of a separate key file, auto-delete all records on exit, etc.) and how would I implement those to allow for evaluation in a network environment or on mobile?

thanks again for the help

Edited by Carly F.

1 hour ago, Ocean West said:

I wouldn't spend too much energy trying to keep FM Runtime operating it may be time to consider alternatives.

https://www.soliantconsulting.com/blog/filemaker-runtime-deprecation-alternatives/

Hi, I’m still working in 12 as I’m very slow to upgrade or make changes for medical reasons.   The next FM update I’m planning on making is vista or 7 but just like my OS choices for medical reasons (My systems only go that far as 7)   Thus this is where I am. I understand my concerns are regarding now-outdated technology; but I’m not the only one