Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Export text field only 1byte ASCII

Babem

I would like to export a text field, but the characters in the exported file occupy 2 bytes.

I would only need the 1-byte character codes. How can I create such an export?

I show the problem in this picture.

TXT-sample.jpg

Are you using the Export Field Contents instruction? If so, the resulting file uses UTF-16 encoding.

There are several methods to produce a UTF-8 encoded file; which one would be most suitable for you depends on what exactly you are doing. For example, you could isolate the record and export it as tab-separated, with only one field in the field export order. But that wouldn't work well if the field contains tabs or carriage returns. 

7 minutes ago, comment said:

Are you using the Export Field Contents instruction? If so, the resulting file uses UTF-16 encoding.

There are several methods to produce a UTF-8 encoded file; which one would be most suitable for you depends on what exactly you are doing. For example, you could isolate the record and export it as tab-separated, with only one field in the field export order. But that wouldn't work well if the field contains tabs or carriage returns. 

Yes, I want to export a calculated character chain in a text field, but i need this exactly. The character chain does not contain control or special codes, just letter, numbers and "space" characters.

Well, you already have one possible method. Briefly, other options are:

• Use the TextEncode() function to create the file in a global container field; then export the container field's contents (requires v. 16 or higher);
  • Same thing as above, only using the Base64Encode and Base64Decode functions (this works in v.13 and up);
  • Write directly to a data file (requires v.18+);
  • Export the record as XML using a custom XSLT stylesheet; this allows you to choose the target file's encoding and preserve all special characters (works in all versions since v.6)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, comment said:

.....  Write directly to a data file (requires v.18+);

Thanks for the help, writing directly to the file and utf-8 setting solved my problem.