Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to format a print layout to show records from different tabs

Alejandra Valenzuela

• Newbies

Hi,

I started a project from the invoice template in Filemaker 17 and I need some help formatting the print layout.

My Invoice layout has different tabs for selecting different types of products, for example printing, framing, books and other products. Almost everything is working great, but I can't figure out how to format the print layout since it's not possible to have two body parts.

This is the preview:

FM-examples_4.png

This is the layout view:

FM-examples_3.png

I can show the first tab's information in the print layout:

FM-examples_1-e1695069259277.png

I'd like to be able to show the "Framing" info and the other tabs' info when they are present. The fields in the other tabs are similar to the printing ones. I tried using sub summaries but I don't have good enough results because I can't figure out the sorting of the records. Basically I'd like to find a way to fake other body parts.

I hope I made myself clear. Thank you for your help.

so if the "portal" is the same table for all invoice line item types then you need a sub summary by that field that is the "type"  of line item. 

You can create a value list to order these parts in the order you wish to see them if they appear in the portals. Then when you go to the invoice layout you must sort records by the "type" field and if necessary by the value list order. 

You can eve add sub totals for count or amount for each sub summary. 

• Like 1

• Newbies

Thank you so much for your response. I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I get it right, I'n not an advanced user.

The portal is the same table. Should I create a new "type" field? Or should I just use for example the printing type. 

I'm thinking I would have to use a sub summary for each item type (one for printing, one for framing, one for books...). 

you would need to have a "type" in the line item table and then in your interface, you could filter the portal in each tab for that specific type of line item.

The sub-summary would sort and group all the printing items together and then framing, then books etc. 

• Like 1