Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Unable to Delete records

Go to solution Solved by mdfOffman,

This error message makes no sense to me: "This operation cannot be performed because one or more required related tables are missing."

This is when I am trying to delete a message!  I can understand not being able to create or edit a record because of a missing table but able to add and edit but not delete because of a missing table makes no sense to me at all!

Can anyone give me an explanation and guidance as to how on earth to track down what is causing the error?

Many thanks

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 2.49.10 PM.png

Thank you.  I had already tried that and failed to fdind the problem but your link bullied me into persisting and I eventually found that I had, without knowing it, somehow created a link in the relationship graph to a totally unrelated table.  Once I removed that, deletionworked again.

Famous last words! The problem happened on both the Party table, and the Address table and, when I said that it was solved, that was because I had been able to delete an Address. When I tried to delete a Party, the problem still happened. After going carefully through the entire relationship chart, I was unable to find anything that would solve the problem.

So I created a duplicate and tested deleting the Party table to see if it was somehow corrupted.

That did indeed solve the problem, but left me with a whole bunch of broken layouts. So on my real database, I removed all the delete subsidiary checkboxes in the relationships, and then deleted the table, telling it not to remove the table from the relationship chat. When I recreated it, it named it Party 2  but I was able to remove that instance from the chart and work with the old one. As a result, I didn't need to update any of my layouts I did need to, initially, uncheck and subsequently re-check something like 20 instances of the party table in the chat, but the whole operation was successful in the end.

Thanks so much for your help.

1 hour ago, mdfOffman said:

tested deleting the Party table to see if it was somehow corrupted.

If you suspect your file is corrupted, you should perform a recovery and see if the problem still occurs in the recovered file (reading the recovery log can also provide some insight). If not, migrate your data to a new file or a known to be good backup.