Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Calculation to convert Millimeters per second to Inches per minute.

Ok. My eyes are blood shot and my brain hurts.  GRIN!  I have been working on a laser settings database. I make all kinds of stuff for our Church Scout Program called Royal Rangers.  I do it for not for profit.  You guys and gals have helped me many times over the past 20 to 30 years and THANKS again for that.

In this filemaker pro 12 file I have a layout #6 that I am trying to get this calculation to work that converts Millimeters per second to inches per minute. 

I found a site that tells me how to do it and that screen capture is on that same page as my calculation attempts.  Can one of you kind folks nudge me back from my headache and show me the error of my ways on this calculation.    

Here is the file link.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18zUhImOSzi35xzcTjCKTAwXDk8Yk5Ii8/view?usp=sharing

I am still using the last edition that creates runtimes.  I would like to upgrade to a newer version but loosing this one feature keeps me from doing so.  

I love the filemaker program.  It allows "NON programers like me" to still make some really cool stuff.

Thanks again for your time.  Happy Valentines Day!

Mark Jones

2 hours ago, Mark Jones said:

I am trying to get this calculation to work that converts Millimeters per second to inches per minute. 

• 1 minute = 60 seconds;
  • 1 inch = 25.4 millimeters. 

So: multiply millimeters-per-second by 60 to get millimeters-per-minute, and then divide by 25.4 to get inches-per-minute:

Input * 60 / 25.4

That's all there is to it.

Edited by comment

But why bother with all the calculations in between, both scales are not logarithmic ?

For each single m/s is 2362,20 inches per minute, I would use this custom function https://www.briandunning.com/cf/2382 to build in some mutuality:

conversion.fmp12

using this as reference: https://www.metric-conversions.org/da/hastighed/meter-per-sekund-til-tommer-per-minut.htm?utm_content=cmp-true

--sd

Edited by Søren Dyhr

That worked perfectly.   Thanks Comment. 

Would you have the calculation for this one? 

To get Millimeters per second to convert to inches per minute. 

I must have it backwards.   This is what I am working towards.

Input the inches per minute in one field then calc the millimeters per second.

Input the Millimeters per second in one field then calc the inches per minute.  

calculator.jpg

My millimeters understanding  is down to this.   6 mil is 1/4"  12 mil is 1/2"  much past that and I am lost as a goose.   

I have a chart that converts inches to millimeters and fractions but the speed thing has me pulling my hair out.  Some lasers use millimeters per second and others use Inches per Minute depending on the software.   When I see the mm per second I am wanting a quick way to get the conversion for that number into something I can use in my Sofware.

The opposite calculation is of course:

Input * 25.4 / 60

Pardon my saying so, but this is 4th grade math.

If you are planning to allow the users to enter either millimeters-per-second or inches-per-minute, and convert one to the other depending on which one was entered, then see:
https://fmforums.com/topic/95234-overriding-calculated-values/?do=findComment&comment=436204

Although I believe a better solution would be to have them enter a value into a single field and then select the units in another field.

Thanks Comment.  Has Lorretta been teaching you people skills. She told me I didn't know how to program.  Ha!  My 4th grade math teacher told me I was a A student 55 years ago give or take a few unimportant digits.  

You're in your gifting in Filemaker programing.   What seems like a no brainer to you is a brain freeze to me.  However, if you were to come into my fields of expertise you would be thinking your the 4th grader.    Ha!   

Your smarter than the AI program that gave me the first calculations.  I could take what you gave me and make it work and after figuring out I had it wrong was able to go in and fix it.  It's working great.  Thanks so much.   

No one really appreciates being told they are dumb especially on Valentines Day.  I forgive you.  Thanks for your help. 

Mark Jones

http://readyrangers.tzo.com  

Edited by Mark Jones

At church last night.  I work with boys of all ages and my group is 7th grade to high school. After flying drones that dogfight.   I asked them this simple question.

How do you convert Millimeters per second to Inches per minute?   Also how do you convert Millimeters per minute to Inches per minute?  

Some used their smart phone and asked that "Google Lady" as my grandkids say.  Others looked at me like a cow looking at a new fence post.  

As usual they all said Oh...that's easy.  I asked a high school math teacher that just retired.  ummmmmm.......well....errrrr...  I just GRIN at them.  

You all have helped me so much over the last 30 years.   What is simple to you comes hard for many.   I know my skills are limited in many ways and in other ways way exceed the average person.   In real world.  What I do works.  It may be Chitty Chitty Bang Bang... but it works for me and the hundreds of folk that I keep track of all kinds of stuff with.   

Here is a video of the chitty chitty bang bang Laser Settings Database I hammered together this last week.  As I learn I modify and change it to work better.  Love Filemaker Pro.   

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sHcok1JJIuylvDKaa0sa4fLNZ41OjYVX/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Mark Jones