8 hours ago8 hr Some searching and AI "results" seem to say I SHOULD be able to do the following:I have my own in-home Synology NAS and use their Synology Drive on my Macs to sync certain folders.I'd long thought FMP used the Apple dictionary but learned it did not when words I had added to Apple's were still underlined in my FM databases. So I finally used on Mac to create a user dictionary and placed it in a Shared Folder on the Synology.On my 2 Macs I use Spelling -> Select Dictionaries... to select my custom dictionary.If I add new learned words I see Drive Client notify me that the dictionary file has been updated. I QUIT FMP but when I relaunch it no longer remembers that I had a personal dictionary selected!!!Anyone with ideas about how to make FMP stay linked to my personal dictionary and keep it on my NAS to share?TYqb
8 hours ago8 hr 21 minutes ago, quattleb said:how to make FMP stay linked to my personal dictionaryI have no personal experience with custom dictionaries but perhaps you could use the Set Dictionary script step in your startup script?https://help.claris.com/en/pro-help/content/set-dictionary.html
7 hours ago7 hr Author @comment - so yes, that could be a workaround but I feel it should not be needed (the set-dictionary script command).I'll add that to test and report if it helped. Still I feel this is some bug and may figure out how to submit it.thx
7 hours ago7 hr Author Are user dictionaries associated with individual FM database and NOT with the application itself???I assumed a user dictionary would be associated with the application but may not be.I created a simple blank database with the set-dictionary as part of the Script Trigger OnFirst WindowOpen. This db then show spelling pointing to my user dictionary.Yet when I open another database it has no user dictionary. I suppose this being a per database setting make some sense but I hoped otherwise.This would mean I need to add the set-dict command for everyone of my numerous dbs...
6 hours ago6 hr 22 minutes ago, quattleb said:Are user dictionaries associated with individual FM database and NOT with the application itself???I am not sure. In general, you apply application-wide settings in Preferences and file-specific settings under File Options. Selecting a dictionary stands on its own and the help doesn't say in which category it falls.That said, the selection is not available when no file is open so that would suggest it is file-specific.
4 hours ago4 hr Author I'm okay with a user dictionary being associated with its specific database.I still have the issue that if I open a db, select my personal dictionary, CLOSE that db and reopen it the dictionary has been forgotten.This happens w/o changing the dictionary at all.I'll test with a personal dictionary NOT on my NAS share next.Did not work.As above plan - I created a new user dictionary and let it reside in the Applications folder. Added 2 words to it and confirmed they were added. When I closed and reopened the database the user dictionary was no longer chosen.Bug report time..:-)
3 hours ago3 hr I made a quick test changing only the 'Spelling Language' value in the Edit > Spelling > Select Dictionaries window. I found two things:The change is file-specific (I had 2 files open and only the front window file was affected);The change does not "stick" unless the file is modified in some way (e.g. by modifying a field and committing the record or by changing some attribute in Layout mode). Without this re-opening the file reverts the change. I suspect the same holds true for the other parameters available through the same window.
27 minutes ago27 min Author @comment - WOW! You may have a solution!I tried this with one small db - making a change to a record after selecting the .uprIt remained selected when I closed and reopened the db.Next to see when I move to a 2nd Mac if this works therethank you!
Create an account or sign in to comment