Server Maintenance This Week. ×

relational database help needed!

This topic is 7858 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

hey there....

im a beginner and have a question...

im trying to link two databases ...let me explain what i have so far..

there is a contact file and an invoice file...what im trying to do is go from my contact files directly to a NEW invoice file...while copying the information over..

now, i tried making a relational database and it seemed to work but if i need to edit the information...it changes it in contacts as well...i need to have that information copied over...not linkied the way i have it now...

so i thought that making it a look up would work but now im just...really lost

so any help would be great...

if what i just said sounds like jibberish cause im explain things wrong let me know please...i'll try to expain it all better

thanks frown.gif

jgt

Invoices are one of those cases where you don't want the information to update when you update contacts. Invoices are a historical document with information from a single point in time.

Once you have created a realationship from Invoices to Contacts you can use it in two ways. The first is to display related fields from Contacts in Invoices. The second is to define a field in Invoice as a lookup based upon the relationship you have created. In this case the field really exists in Invoice and initially takes information from the fields in Contacts. Take a look at your options in Define Fields and read your FileMaker manual on lookups.

-bd

This topic is 7858 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.